[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Aug 13 16:14:41 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-08-13 at 07:57 -0700, James E. Blair wrote:
> Since we take particular pride in our community participation, the fact
> that we have not been able or willing to do this correctly reflects very
> poorly on us.  I would rather that we not do this at all than do it
> badly, so I think this should be the last release with a name.  I've
> proposed that change here:
>
>   https://review.opendev.org/675788

not to takethis out of context but it is rather long thread so i have sniped
the bit i wanted to comment on.

i thnik not nameing release would be problemeatic on two fronts.
one without a common comunity name i think codename or other conventint names
are going to crop up as many have been refering to the U release as the unicorn
release just to avoid the  confusion between "U" and "you" when speak about the release
untill we have an offical name. if we had no offical names i think we woudl keep using
those placeholders at least on irc or in person. (granted we would not use them for code
or docs)

that is a minor thing but the more distributive issue i see is that nova's U release
will be 21.0.0? and neutorns U release will be 16.0.0? without a name to refer to the
set of compatiable project for a given version we woudl only have the letter and form a marketing
perspective and even from development perspective i think that will be problematic.

we could just have the V release but i think it loses something in clarity.