[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 5 13:47:48 UTC 2019

> On Aug 5, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Jeremy Freudberg <jeremyfreudberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You can drop the Pinyin equivalents from the Mongolian/Russian options
> when drawing up the poll. The Pinyin spelling for those options was
> added to the Wiki document (by me) to match what was done for the GR
> options. I found it important to note that the options which
> conveniently began with U under the typical transliteration systems of
> those languages only did so because those systems are, essentially,
> not Chinese. But, all that said, it's pretty rare to see
> Mongolian/Russian place names written in Pinyin so it would come off
> as a bit of a confusing distraction to actually include the Pinyin
> equivalents in the poll itself.
>
> Now, my two cents about the poll options:
> - I'm against using GR spelling... regardless of the actual history of
> the use of GR, I've already seen some Chinese contributors state that
> using GR is, at best, weird.

Those will be dropped.

> - I'm against using Mongolian/Manchu/Russian names... I do not see how
> a name from one of these languages is at all representative of
> Shanghai.

The geographic area under consideration was expanded to "all of China" because it was proving too difficult to come up with place names starting with U from within the narrower area surrounding Shanghai.

> - I'm against using arbitrary English words... "Train" was fine
> because it represented the conference itself and something about our
> community. "Umpire" and "Umbrella" don't represent anything.

My understanding is those items were part of the list produced by the Chinese contributor community via their discussions on wechat. I only removed the ones I thought might have obvious negative connotations, and I’m content to leave the rest in the list and have the voters decide if they’re suitable names.

> - I'm in favor of using English words that describe something about
> the host city or country... for example I think "Urban" is a great
> because Shanghai is by certain metrics one of the most urban areas in
> the world, China has many of the world's largest cities, etc.
>
> Deciding whether certain options should even appear on the poll is
> outside my responsibility.

Lucky you. ;-)