The python black project.

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 17:40:37 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 12:26 -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 4/18/2019 11:08 AM, Lance Bragstad wrote:
> > If black's conventions are too restrictive, but we still
> > want more consistency, someone can drive an effort to start writing down
> > conventions we, as in OpenStack, think are important.
>
> Seems we've all forgotten openstack already has a project to do this:
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-dev/hacking/tree/README.rst
hacking was in the back of my mind too

> It's just that people probably don't do many new hacking checks in their
> projects anymore, or they don't think about "upstreaming" them to the
> hacking library and then percolating those rules out to all other projects.
>
> Also, each project can pick and choose which hacking checks they want to
> adopt, and enforce them gradually rather than all at once - which is one
> of the knocks I'm reading about Black in this thread.
they can but hacking unless i missed it cant reformat your code to make it complient.
i spend a non trivial amount of time just getting pep8 to be happy and even then i often
miss things. i which that could be automated away but it seam apparent that unless
that can be dont incremetally its not going to happen in nova.