[nova] retire a flavor

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 16:35:34 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-01 at 17:40 +0200, Florian Engelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as far as I tested it is not possible to change a flavor from public to
> private. Managing access to flavors on a project basis might be an
> option for a private cloud but not for a public one.
if you cannot retrict a flavor to a singel porject in a public cloud
you also can never delete a flavor in a public cloud.

from an api perspective it will have the same effect.

> There are a lot of unit tests about:
>
>              "alias": "OS-FLV-DISABLED",
>              "description": "Support to show the disabled status of a
> flavor.",
>
> What's that feature for? How does it work? Is this ongoing?
>
> I think we need some method to retire images and flavors.
well it depend on what you mean by retire.
my definition of retire means it still exist but is no longer
requestable for new instances. idealy if you retire something from
service it should be possible to reinstate it again even if that is unlikely.

if your definitoin of retire delete it then you can certenly do that.
restoring a delete flavor is technicaly possible as you cna just recreated it
but its harder to do that then unrestrict the acess to the flavor.

but yes we shoudl have a documented procedure to "retire" a flavor  or image in the
admin guide somewhere but we also need to define what that means first and that might
change form deployment to deployment at least in some cases.