[dev][qa][devstack] Release management for QA toold and plugins

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Nov 29 17:10:19 UTC 2018

On 11/29/18 10:22 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi, QA folks,
>
> The release management team has been conducting a review of OpenStack
> official deliverables, to make sure nothing was falling between the
> cracks release-management-wise.
>
> As part of that review, we added a "release-management:" key to
> deliverables defined in the project governance repository in case they
> were not to be handled by the release management team using the
> openstack/releases repository. For example, some deliverables (like
> docs) are continuously published and therefore marked
> "release-management:none". Others (like charms) are released manually on
> 3rd-party platforms and therefore marked "release-management:external".
>
> In that context, several QA-maintained tools or related repos are a bit
> in limbo:
>
> * eslint-config-openstack: used to be released regularly, but was never
> released since we introduced openstack/releases. Should we just consider
> it cycle-independent, or drop the repository from governance ?
>
> * devstack-vagrant: never released, no change over the past year. Is it
> meant to be released in the future (cycle-independent) or considered
> continuously published (release-management:none) or should it be retired ?
>
> * karma-subunit-reporter: saw some early releases two years ago but not
> in recent times.  Should we just consider it cycle-independent, or drop
> the repository from governance ?
>
> * devstack-plugin-*: Some of those were branched using
> openstack/releases back in Queens, but only devstack-plugin-container.
> was branched in Rocky. Some consistency here would be good. Should those
> all be branched every cycle in the future, or should we just branch none
> of them and consider them all continuously published
> (release-management:none) ?

For the messaging plugins, we had intended to start branching them every
cycle: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/556602

It seems I forgot to submit the review to do so for the rocky release
though. I'm not sure if it's too late to do that, but I submitted the
review: https://review.openstack.org/620962

It's also on my end-of-release todo list now.