[dev][qa][devstack] Release management for QA toold and plugins

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Nov 29 16:22:48 UTC 2018

Hi, QA folks,

The release management team has been conducting a review of OpenStack
official deliverables, to make sure nothing was falling between the
cracks release-management-wise.

As part of that review, we added a "release-management:" key to
deliverables defined in the project governance repository in case they
were not to be handled by the release management team using the
openstack/releases repository. For example, some deliverables (like
docs) are continuously published and therefore marked
"release-management:none". Others (like charms) are released manually on
3rd-party platforms and therefore marked "release-management:external".

In that context, several QA-maintained tools or related repos are a bit
in limbo:

* eslint-config-openstack: used to be released regularly, but was never
released since we introduced openstack/releases. Should we just consider
it cycle-independent, or drop the repository from governance ?

* devstack-vagrant: never released, no change over the past year. Is it
meant to be released in the future (cycle-independent) or considered
continuously published (release-management:none) or should it be retired ?

* karma-subunit-reporter: saw some early releases two years ago but not
in recent times.  Should we just consider it cycle-independent, or drop
the repository from governance ?

* devstack-plugin-*: Some of those were branched using
openstack/releases back in Queens, but only devstack-plugin-container.
was branched in Rocky. Some consistency here would be good. Should those
all be branched every cycle in the future, or should we just branch none
of them and consider them all continuously published
(release-management:none) ?

* devstack-tools: saw some early releases two years ago but not in
recent times.  Should we just consider it cycle-independent, or consider
it abandoned ?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
On behalf of the release management team