[oslo][nova][stable][requirements] Fixing a high CPU usage from oslo.service into stable/rocky branch

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:38:12 UTC 2018

On 21/11/18 9:47 AM, Herve Beraud wrote:
> # Questions and proposed solutions
>
> This thread try to summarize the current situation.
>
> We need to find how to be able to proceed, so this thread aim to allow
> to discuss between team to find the best way to fix.
>
> 1. Do we need to continue to try to backport fixture on oslo.service to
> fix the CI problem (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/617989/)?
>
> 2. Do we need to find an another approach like mocking
> oslo.service.loopingcall._Event.wait in nova instead of mocking
> oslo_service.loopingcall._ThreadingEvent.wait (example:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/616697/2/nova/tests/unit/compute/test_compute_mgr.py)?

3. Doesn't this get solved if we add a line like:

   _ThreadingEvent = _Event

in oslo.service on stable/rocky? That seems harmless and the easiest way
to maintain the same sort-of-public interface so nothing else ought to
break either. And with no change in Nova people won't need to worry
about needing to update oslo.service at the same time they update Nova
to avoid breakage.

Here's a patch: https://review.openstack.org/619342

cheers,
Zane.