[infra] [zuul] [placement] Minimizing size/time of test node

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed Nov 21 15:15:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Sean Mooney wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-11-21 at 12:59 +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
>> I have a work in progress to run a little job in placement that
>> gathers very simple performance numbers on some queries. This is
>> being done as a sort of sanity check. As with many such things it is
>> a bit rough around the edges and I'd like to make it smoother in a
>> variety of ways.
>>
>> The WIP is at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/602484/
>>
>> One of the ways I'd like to change it is to not rely on devstack. I
>> need only mysql, uwsgi, python and the current revision of placement
>> on the node. The current job uses devstack-minimal as its base but
>> that's overkill and slow.
> out of interest if you did devstack-minimal then set disable-all-services
> or whatever the macro is and then just enabled mariadb and placement service
> would there be much of a delta in job time?

That's what the WIP is pretty much doing (now), except that it
includes keystone (as lib/placement expects it). It's not super
slow, but nor is it super fast, and it seems wasteful for something
as tiny as this to not be super fast.

I have a followup in progress which is uses the "base" job, but it is
taking some time to get right.

P.S. Can we make the default reply-to for the new list be the list?
This is one of several areas where I disagree with jwz.