[infra] ML configuration (was: Minimizing size/time of test node)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Nov 21 15:41:08 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-21 15:15:00 +0000 (+0000), Chris Dent wrote:
[...]
> Can we make the default reply-to for the new list be the list?
> This is one of several areas where I disagree with jwz.

We discussed it a bit on Monday and concluded that it was better to
endure a few weeks of people's replies going to the old lists for
messages which came from there through the new list, rather than
enact a change in behavior for the new list just after people had
started to settle into it. Problem with Reply-To is that you are
stuck deciding whether to override the author's Reply-To (if
provided) or inconsistently add one for the ML when the author
didn't have one. Most modern E-mail clients have a reply-to-list
option you can use when replying on mailing lists which include
proper RFC 2369 List-* headers (though I too will admit I forget
which one to hit sometimes when I'm not paying attention).
--
Jeremy Stanley