Backporting networking-ansible to Queens

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Dec 21 05:00:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:00:39AM -0500, Dan Radez wrote:

> python-pexpect is used by a small handful of projects. There a chance that
> pyyaml may have to be bumped one minor version as well. These changes seem
> to be a fairly low impact for networking-ansible's dependency updates.

Why would we bump pyyaml?  I don't see that covered in the change.
There are 56 consumers of pyyaml in stable/queens, depending on the
nature of the bump, many or which would need to take some action.

> The community is not being asked to take on any more maintenance or spend
> extra time as a result of this backport. The requirements update for the
> backport has passed all of its tests.

That's not quite accurate.  Merging 624048, would mean generating,
merging requirements updates to all consumers of pyexpect:

Package      : pexpect [pexpect!=3.3,>=3.1] (used by 3 projects)
Also affects : 3 projects
openstack/rpm-packaging                       [None]
openstack/storlets                            [None]
openstack/trove                               [None]

Which would then force immediate releases of storlets and trove (minor
updates) which then means all vendors and operators using those services
need to re-generate packages and environments for those services.

So the broader developer, vendor and operator community is being asked
to do non-zero amounts of work.  Now clearly RedHat (our employer) sees
value in this work but do SUSE, Canonical, Gentoo and Debian?

We could *not* do that work but then those projects would be working by
luck rather than design.

> While this is an unusual request, our hope is the value for us and for
> queens users can be seen. In light of the low risk and the expected zero
> additional time/maintenance could an exception be made to approve this
> update to happen?

At this point I don't see a compelling reason deviate from from the
established norm.

Yours Tony.