[nova] review guide for the bandwidth patches

Bence Romsics bence.romsics at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:02:00 UTC 2018

Hi Gibi,

> However I think we can use the feature flag approach. We can implement
> and verify everything in the current order without the end user seeing
> or causing any kind of inconsistencies. The nova implementation is only
> activated if a neutron port has a resource_request field. This field is
> added to the neutron API as an API extension. We can mark this
> extension experimental while we are working through the missing pieces
> of the feature.

I like the idea of a feature flag, however technically in neutron we
don't directly control the list of extensions loaded. Instead what we
control (through configuration) is the list of service plugins loaded.
The 'resource_request' extension is implemented by the 'qos' service
plugin. But the 'qos' service plugin implements other API extensions
and features too. A cloud admin may want to use these other features
of the 'qos' service plugin, but not the guaranteed minimum bandwidth.
Therefore I'd suggest adding the feature flag to nova to keep this
usage possible.

Cheers,
Bence