[tc] Adapting office hours schedule to demand

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Dec 19 01:38:24 UTC 2018

 ---- On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:52:41 +0900 Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote ----
 > Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> writes:
 >
 > > Is there actually any reason to think that there is a problematic level
 > > of under-reporting of TC-escalation-worthy issues? I can't think an a
 > > priori reason to expect that in a healthy project there should be large
 > > numbers of issues escalated to the TC. And despite focusing our meeting
 > > strategy around that and conducting a massively time-consuming campaign
 > > of reaching out to teams individually via the health checks, I'm not
 > > seeing any empirical evidence of it either. Meanwhile there's ample
 > > evidence that we need more time to discuss things as a group - just
 > > witness the difficulty of getting through a monthly meeting in < 1 hour
 > > by trying to stick to purely procedural stuff.
 > >
 > > (A more cynical person than I might suggest that going searching for
 > > trivial issues that we can 'solve' by fiat offers a higher
 > > dopamine-to-time-spent ratio than working together as a team to do...
 > > anything at all, and that this may explain some of its popularity.)
 >
 > I suggested we start doing the health checks more formally after the 2nd
 > Vancouver summit because during that week we did discover issues that 2
 > teams had been dealing with for at least a cycle, if not longer. The
 > teams involved never escalated the problems, and the situations had
 > devolved into lingering anger and resentment. In one case we had a
 > project purposefully being misconfigured in CI in a misguided attempt to
 > "force" the team to comply with some policy by making it impossible for
 > them to test a feature. Once we found out about the problems, we had
 > them resolved within the week.
 >
 > So, I don't think it's too much to ask of TC members to actively seek
 > out team leads and try to establish a line of communication to avoid
 > ending up in that situation again. I consider it a preventive measure.

+1. This is nice point. Establishing communication (free and live communication) with
 team leads is something will solve a lot of problems. I remember few teams lead telling
me that they heard first time from TC about checking "what issues they are facing and want us to solve".
TC reaching out to team leads via health check/informal meeting during events etc can make
all the teams more free to raise the question to TC or suggest/request the team needs at least.

This is especially good for projects which are more independent services and not interacting with other
openstack services/team. They are small team and it is good to tell our presence and we are there to help them.

-gmann