[keystone] Re: Meaning of role name: auditor versus reader

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:06:12 UTC 2018

I was under the assumption that the ``reader`` role wouldn't be specific to
the actions of either operators or regular end users. I thought the
intention was to leverage the scope of the assignment to answer that
question for us.

For example:

Let's assume Sarah is granted the reader role on the system
(``openstack role add --user sarah --system all reader``). In theory, she
has the ability to list system-specific resources, like endpoints,
services, domains, or compute hosts. She can perform audits on the
deployment infrastructure. If Chris has the reader role on a project
(``openstack role add --user chris --project foobar reader``), he should
theoretically have the ability to list instances and volumes within the
project. Even though Chris has the reader role, he doesn't have the ability
to list system-specific resources, because he doesn't have the system role
assignment Sarah has.

We can expand the example to include domain support, too. If Jane has a
reader role on a domain (``openstack role add --user jane --domain baz
reader``), she theoretically has the ability to view things owned by that
domain, like users, groups, or projects whose domain ID is ``baz``.

The same role is used in all three cases, but the target in each user's
role assignment is important, too. This might be easier to see in practice
between system [0], domain] [1], and project [2] readers all using the
``reader`` role. In my opinion, this gives us more bang for our buck as far
as role definitions are concerned. We aren't worried about defining
system-reader, domain-reader, and project-reader roles. Additionally, I
cringe a little bit thinking about the custom policy required for those
cases and the confusion operators might have when Jane gets the
project-reader role assignment on a domain.

[0]
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619329/3/keystone/tests/unit/protection/v3/test_endpoints.py@31
[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619332/4/keystone/tests/unit/protection/v3/test_endpoints.py@131