[vitrage][monasca] Monasca datasource for Vitrage

Bedyk, Witold witold.bedyk at est.fujitsu.com
Wed Dec 12 14:57:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

thanks Bartosz for the POC and great presentation in Berlin. Thanks Ifat for championing the effort and starting the thread.

> There is one issue that we need to close though – how to connect the Monasca alarms to the resources in Vitrage.
>
> In order to connect an alarm to a resource, Vitrage should be able to identify that resource in its entity graph using the dimensions coming from Monasca. I > understood that these dimensions are configurable and not pre-defined.

Correct. To make the picture complete: every alarm contains an associated `metric name` and a set of dimensions which identify the monitored resource. Both metric name and dimensions could potentially be used in Vitrage.

1. For OpenStack services we typically use dimension keys `hostname` and `service`. Examples would be:
                `name`: `http_status`, `dimensions`: {`hostname`: `node1`, `service`: `keystone`, `url`: `http://node1/identity`}

Libvirt metrics all have the dimension keys `hostname`, `service`=`compute`, `resource_id`=instance_id

2. For other resources I’m not sure if we can define a general rule for assignments. As you have said, the unique information may be included in more the one dimension.

For Prometheus, we use labels on each metric as dimensions. Additional dimensions can be configured in agent per Prometheus endpoint.

How do you assign resources for alarms from Zabbix or Prometheus datasources?

Best greetings
Witek