[neutron][ironic] Add Support for Smart NIC with baremetal

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:52:11 UTC 2018

Following up on the discussion:

Attendees:
- Moshe Levi
- Nate Johnston
- Davidsha
- Miguel
- Adrian Chirls
- Julia Kreger

Notes from meeting:

- NOTE: The discussions largely focused on the "local" execution on the
smartnic case. The remote case is still under discussion but is not
blocking to the overall effort.
- We will create a new vnic binding type, as to not break baremetal port
binding logic that already exists. Smartnics are viewed a separate path of
logic that needs to be taken. If hierarchical port binding is needed, the
logic will need to be updated at a later point in time.
- The binding profile information to be transmitted from ironic to neutron
to contain information about the smartnic. No manual port/smartnic mapping
file will be added.
- There will be no implicit mapping of ironic port.uuid to hostname on the
operating smartnic.
- Consensus was that the operators should supply the sufficient information
to ironic for neutron to relate the smartnic (with the data sent in
binding_profile) to the vif and the baremetal port.
- Neutron OVS agent will perform the actual final port-plug using os-vif as
compared to the current virtualization use case or the existing baremetal
vnic use case.