[dev][goal][python3][qa][devstack][ptl] changing devstack's python 3 behavior

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Dec 10 18:43:42 UTC 2018

Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> writes:

> On 12/5/18 1:27 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Today devstack requires each project to explicitly indicate that it can
>> be installed under python 3, even when devstack itself is running with
>> python 3 enabled.
>>
>> As part of the python3-first goal, I have proposed a change to devstack
>> to modify that behavior [1]. With the change in place, when devstack
>> runs with python3 enabled all services are installed under python 3,
>> unless explicitly listed as not supporting python 3.
>>
>> If your project has a devstack plugin or runs integration or functional
>> test jobs that use devstack, please test your project with the patch
>> (you can submit a trivial change to your project and use Depends-On to
>> pull in the devstack change).

> For Oslo, do we need to test every project or can we just do the
> devstack plugins and maybe one other as a sanity check? Since we don't
> own any devstack services this doesn't directly affect us, right?

Given that we've been testing nova and cinder under python 3 for a while
now I think it's probably safe to assume Oslo is working OK. This change
is mostly about the fact that we were failing to install *all* of the
services under python 3 by default. The existing library forward-testing
jobs should handle future testing because they will install all of the
services as well as the library under test using python 3.

If you want to be extra careful, you could propose a patch to some of
the more complicated libs (oslo.messaging and oslo.service come to mind)
that depends on the patch above to ensure that those libraries don't
trigger failures in the jobs.

--
Doug