[octavia] Routing between lb-mgmt-net and amphora

M. Ranganathan mranga at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 21:12:09 UTC 2018

HACK ALERT Disclaimer: My suggestion could be clumsy.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM Paul Bourke <paul.bourke at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is mostly a follow on to the thread at[0], though due to the mailing
> list transition it was easier to start a new thread.
>
> I've been attempting to get Octavia setup according to the dev-quick-start
> guide[1], but have been struggling with the following piece:
>
> "Add appropriate routing to / from the ‘lb-mgmt-net’ such that egress is
> allowed, and the controller (to be created later) can talk to hosts on this
> network."
>
> In mranga's reply, they say:
>
> > -- Create an ovs port  on br-int
> > -- Create a neutron port using the ovs port that you just created.
> > -- Assign the ip address of the neutron port to the ovs port
> > -- Use ip netns exec to assign a route in the router namespace of the
> LoadBalancer network.
>
> I have enough of an understanding of Neutron/OVS for this to mostly make
> sense, but not enough to actually put it into practice it seems. My
> environment:
>
> 3 x control nodes
> 2 x network nodes
> 1 x compute
>
> All nodes have two interfaces, eth0 being the management network -
> 192.168.5.0/24, and eth1 being used for the provider network. I then
> create the Octavia lb-mgmt-net on 172.18.2.0/24.
>
> I've read the devstack script[2] and have the following questions:
>
> * Should I add the OVS port to br-int on the compute, network nodes, or
> both?

I have only one controller which also functions as my network node. I added
the port on the controller/network  node. br-int is the place where the
integration happens. You will find each network has an internal vlan tag
associated with it. Use the tag assigned to your lb network when you create
the ovs port.

ovs-vsctl show will tell you more.

* What is the purpose of creating a neutron port in this scenario

Just want to be sure Neutron knows about it and has an entry in its
database so the address won't be used for something else. If you are using
static addresses, for example you should not need this (I think).

BTW the created port is DOWN. I am not sure why and I am not sure it
matters.

--
M. Ranganathan