Anyone using ScaleIO block storage?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:09:23 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:31 AM Balázs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com>
wrote:

> [trim]
> ScaleIO used to have a capability to expose the volumes over standard
> iSCSI, but this capability has been removed long time ago. As this was
> a feature
> in the past, making Dell/EMC to re-introduce it may not be completely
> impossible if there is high enough interest for that. However, this
> would vanish
> the power of the proprietary protocol which let the client to balance
> the load towards multiple servers.
> [trim]

iSCSI does have the ability to communicate additional paths that a client
may choose to invoke, the issue then largely becomes locking across paths,
which becomes a huge issue if lun locking is being used as part of
something like a clustered file system. Of course, most initial initiators
may not be able to support this, and as far as I'm aware what iscsi
initiators that we can control in hardware don't have or have limited iscsi
multipath support. Of course, if they iBFT load that.... Well, I'll stop
now because of limitations with iBFT. :)