Anyone using ScaleIO block storage?

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:29:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:02 PM Kimball (US), Conrad <
conrad.kimball at boeing.com> wrote:
[trim]

> One concern I do have is that it uses a proprietary protocol that in turn
> requires a proprietary “data client”.  For VM hosting this data client can
> be installed in the compute node host OS, but seems like we wouldn’t be
> able to boot a bare-metal instance from a ScaleIO-backed Cinder volume.

Not supporting iSCSI would indeed be an issue for bare-metal instances. The
same basic issue exists for Ceph backed storage, although I've been
encouraging the cinder team to provide a capability of returning an iscsi
volume mapping for Ceph. If there is a similar possibility, please let me
know as it might change the overall discussion regarding providing storage
for bare metal instances.

-Julia