[Nova] Increase size limits for user data

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 14:14:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:16 PM Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 12:08 +0100, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I've been working on a tool that requires creating CoreOS nodes on
> > OpenStack. Sadly, I've hit the user data limit, which has blocked the
> > work I'm doing.
> >
> > One big difference between CoreOS images and other cloud images out
> > there is that CoreOS images don't use cloud-init but a different tool
> > called Ignition[0], which uses JSON as its serialization format.
> >
> > The size of the configs that I need to pass to the instance is bigger
> > than the limit imposed by Nova. I've worked on reducing the size as
> > much as possible and even generating a compressed version of it but
> > the data is still bigger than the limit (144 kb vs 65kb).
> >
> > I'd like to understand better what the nature of the limit is (is it
> > because of the field size in the database? Is it purely an API limit?
> > Is it because it causes problems depending on the vendor? As far as I
> > can tell the limit is just being enforced by the API schema[1] and
> > not
> > the DB as it uses a MEDIUMTEXT field.
> >
> > I realize this has been asked before but I wanted to get a feeling of
> > the current opinion about this. Would the Nova team consider
> > increasing the limit of the API considering that more use cases like
> > this may be more common these days?
>
> I think EC2 only gives you 1/4 of what Nova does (16KB or so). So it
> would seem Nova is already being somewhat generous here.

Yeah, I checked before sending this and I thought that regardless of
what EC2 is doing, I think it'd be nice for us to consider the use
case.

> I don't see any harm in increasing it so long as the DB supports it (no
> DB schema change would be required).
>
> I wonder if pairing userdata with a token that allowed you to download
> the information from another (much larger) data source would be a
> better pattern here though. Then you could make it as large as you
> needed.

This is the current solution, which has allowed me to move forward
with the work I'm doing. Regardless, I would like us to discuss this.
I'd rather have the limit in Nova increased than adding a dependency
on another service that would, very likely, only be used for this
specific use case.

Flavio