[neutron] [octavia] Manual deployment step for octavia on packstack

Vikrant Aggarwal ervikrant06 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:28:50 UTC 2018

Hello Team,

Do we have the steps documented somewhere to install octavia manually like
we have for zun [1]?

I have done the openstack deployment using packstack and now I want to
install the octavia manually on it.

I have done the following steps:

# groupadd --system octavia
# useradd --home-dir "/var/lib/octavia"       --create-home
--system       --shell /bin/false       -g octavia       octavia
# cd /var/lib/octavia/
# git clone https://github.com/openstack/octavia.git
# chown -R octavia:octavia *
# pip install -r requirements.txt
# python setup.py install
# openstack user create --domain default --password-prompt octavia
# openstack role add --project service --user octavia admin
# openstack service create --name octavia --description "Octavia Service"
"Octavia Load Balancing Servic"
# openstack endpoint create --region RegionOne "Octavia Load Balancing
Servic" public http://10.121.19.50:9876/v1
# openstack endpoint create --region RegionOne "Octavia Load Balancing
Servic" admin http://10.121.19.50:9876/v1
# openstack endpoint create --region RegionOne "Octavia Load Balancing
Servic" internal http://10.121.19.50:9876/v1

Made the following changes in the configuration file.

[root at packstack1 octavia(keystone_admin)]# diff etc/octavia.conf
/etc/octavia/octavia.conf
20,21c20,21
< # bind_host = 127.0.0.1
< # bind_port = 9876
---
> bind_host = 10.121.19.50
> bind_port = 9876
38c38
< # api_v2_enabled = True
---
> # api_v2_enabled = False
64c64
< # connection = mysql+pymysql://
---
> connection = mysql+pymysql://octavia:octavia@10.121.19.50/octavia
109c109
< # www_authenticate_uri = https://localhost:5000/v3
---
> www_authenticate_uri = https://10.121.19.50:5000/v3
111,114c111,114
< # auth_url = https://localhost:5000/v3
< # username = octavia
< # password = password
< # project_name = service
---
> auth_url = https://10.121.19.50:35357/v3
> username = octavia
> password = octavia
> project_name = service
117,118c117,118
< # project_domain_name = Default
< # user_domain_name = Default
---
> project_domain_name = default
> user_domain_name = default

Generated the certificates using the script and copy the following
certificates in octavia:

[root at packstack1 octavia(keystone_admin)]# cd /etc/octavia/
[root at packstack1 octavia(keystone_admin)]# ls -lhrt
total 28K
-rw-r--r--. 1 octavia octavia  14K Dec  4 05:50 octavia.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 octavia octavia 1.7K Dec  4 05:55 client.key
-rw-r--r--. 1 octavia octavia  989 Dec  4 05:55 client.csr
-rw-r--r--. 1 octavia octavia 1.7K Dec  4 05:55 client.pem

Can anyone please guide me about the further configuration?

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/zun/latest/install/controller-install.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vikrant Aggarwal