[Openstack] unexpected distribution of compute instances in queens

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Dec 4 10:55:08 UTC 2018

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018, Mike Carden wrote:

> Having found the nice docs at:
> https://docs.openstack.org/tripleo-docs/latest/install/containers_deployment/tips_tricks.html
>
> I have divined that I can ssh to each controller node and:
> sudo docker exec -u root nova_scheduler crudini --set /etc/nova/nova.conf
> placement randomize_allocation_candidates true
> sudo docker kill -s SIGHUP nova_scheduler
>
> ...and indeed the /etc/nova/nova.conf in each nova_scheduler container is
> updated accordingly.
>
> Unfortunately, instances are all still launched on compute-0.

Sorry this has been such a pain for you. There are a couple of
issues/other things to try:

* The 'randomize_allocation_candidates' config setting is used by
   the placement-api process (probably called nova-placement-api in
   queens), not the nova-scheduler process, so you need to update the
   config (in the placement section) for the former and restart it.

* If that still doesn't fix it then it would be helpful to see the
   logs from both the placement-api and nova-scheduler process from
   around the time you try to launch some instances, as that will
   help show if there's some other factor at play that is changing
   the number of available target hosts, causing attempts on the
   other two hosts to not land.