[nova][ops] Migrating instances with old extra specs info.

Roman Dobosz gryf73 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 14:08:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

We have an issue regarding live migrate old instances.

On our infrastructure based on Newton, we had not well named our
aggregation groups and we decided to completely change the naming
conventions. We are using extra specs/metadata in flavors/aggregates and
AggregateInstanceExtraSpecsFilter to select the set of hosts.

After changing one of the key (lets call it 'kind') of extra
spec/metadata to the new value, we are able to create new instances, but
unable to live-migrate old one. This is because of stored flavor extra
specs in instance_extra, which still holds the old value for the 'kind'
key, and make the aggregate filter fail to match the hosts.

In our opinion, it should be able to live-migrate such instance, since
only the flavor metadata has changed, while other fields doesn't (vcpus,
memory, disk).

Is it a bug? Or maybe it is possible to change the instance flavor
extra spec?

--
Cheers,
Roman Dobosz