[openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron] SmartNics with Ironic
moshele at mellanox.com
Sun Sep 30 06:25:58 UTC 2018
I don't mind to update the ironic spec . Unfortunately, I wasn't in the PTG but I had a sync meeting with Isuku.
As I see it there is 2 use-cases:
1. Running the neutron ovs agent in the smartnic
2. Running the neutron super ovs agent which manage the ovs running on the smartnic.
It seem that most of the discussion was around the second use-case.
This is my understanding on the ironic neutron PTG meeting:
1. Ironic cores don't want to change the deployment interface as proposed in .
2. We should a new network_interface for use case 2. But what about the first use case? Should it be a new network_interface as well?
3. We should delay the port binding until the baremetal is powered on the ovs is running.
* For the first use case I was thinking to change the neutron server to just keep the port binding information in the neutron DB. Then when the neutron ovs agent is a live it will retrieve all the baremeal port , add them to the ovsdb and start the neutron ovs agent fullsync.
* For the second use case the agent is alive so the agent itself can monitor the ovsdb of the baremetal and configure it when it up
4. How to notify that neutron agent successfully/unsuccessfully bind the port ?
* In both use-cases we should use neutron-ironic notification to make sure the port binding was done successfully.
Is my understanding correct?
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/582767/
From: Miguel Lavalle <miguel at mlavalle.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:20 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron] SmartNics with Ironic
Yes, this also matches the recollection of the joint conversation in Denver. Please look at the "Ironic x-project discussion - Smartnics" section in http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-September/135032.html<https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.openstack.org%2Fpipermail%2Fopenstack-dev%2F2018-September%2F135032.html&data=02%7C01%7Cmoshele%40mellanox.com%7Ce5607928a41c44bf065508d6266a9435%7Ca652971c7d2e4d9ba6a4d149256f461b%7C0%7C0%7C636738636550233328&sdata=ZvAsZoTkk%2FFGlsig54J0d1EejcDiYdqsGlfRkuKBJTg%3D&reserved=0>
On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:31 PM Julia Kreger <juliaashleykreger at gmail.com<mailto:juliaashleykreger at gmail.com>> wrote:
Now that the PTG is over, I would like to go ahead and get the
specification that was proposed to ironic-specs updated to represent
the discussions that took place at the PTG.
A few highlights from my recollection:
* Ironic being the source of truth for the hardware configuration for
the neutron agent to determine where to push configuration to. This
would include the address and credential information (certificates
* The information required is somehow sent to neutron (possibly as
part of the binding profile, which we could send at each time port
actions are requested by Ironic.)
* The Neutron agent running on the control plane connects outbound to
the smartnic, using information supplied to perform the appropriate
* In Ironic, this would likely be a new network_interface driver
module, with some additional methods that help facilitate the
work-flow logic changes needed in each deploy_interface driver module.
* Ironic would then be informed or gain awareness that the
configuration has been completed and that the deployment can proceed.
(A different spec has been proposed regarding this.)
I have submitted a forum session based upon this and the agreed upon
goal at the PTG was to have the ironic spec written up to describe the
I guess the next question is, who wants to update the specification?
OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Unsubscribe: OpenStack-dev-request at lists.openstack.org?subject:unsubscribe<https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2FOpenStack-dev-request%40lists.openstack.org%3Fsubject%3Aunsubscribe&data=02%7C01%7Cmoshele%40mellanox.com%7Ce5607928a41c44bf065508d6266a9435%7Ca652971c7d2e4d9ba6a4d149256f461b%7C0%7C0%7C636738636550233328&sdata=PexKWkCH7u4kRWjzs2kOIZsHFmzSL%2BCl6bqzY2B5KWA%3D&reserved=0>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev