[openstack-dev] [election][tc]Question for candidates about global reachout

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 02:23:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:06 AM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> This seems to completely miss the reasons I personally reject such
> platforms. I don't use proprietary tools or services for interacting
> with our community, I avoid relying on products from companies which
> attempt to track or share my location and activities for their own
> profit or to report them to various government agencies, and I have
> no interest in owning a "smart phone" (which some services such as
> wechat outright require). At least for me, the example rejection you
> proposed above is a miss on all counts...
>
> I am plenty capable of coping with any of the "personalities or
> social characters" I'm likely to encounter on those services (I'm
> quite certain IRC is where you're going to find some of the worst
> and *most* intolerable characters of any discussion medium). I also
> am accustomed to providing a near instant response to urgent
> requests in IRC, and at the same time don't feel particularly
> "pressured" to do so. And I _do_ use some social media: both IRC and
> mailing lists are in fact legitimate examples of social media. I'm
> really not even opposed to using other forms as long as they rely on
> open protocols and both the client _and_ server software are
> available under a free/libre open source license.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Jeremy, what I'm saying here, and also addressed in comments with the
related resolution patch, is that personality reasons are the ones that we
have to respect and no form of governance change could help solve the
problem. However other than that, we could always find a way to address the
issue for remedies, if we don't have a good answer now maybe we will have
sometime later.

Preference on  social tooling is something that the technical committee is
able to address, with isolation of usage of proprietary tools for certain
scenario and also strict policy on enforcing the open source communication
solutions we have today as the central ones the community will continue to
use. This is not an unsolvable problem given that we have a technical
committee, but personality issues are, no matter what governance instrument
we have.

--
Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado