[openstack-dev] [election][tc] Announcing candidacy

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:49:00 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I'm announcing my candidacy for a position on the OpenStack Technical
Committee.

I'm Rico Lin. I have been in this community since 2014. And been

deeply involved with technical contributions [1], I start from working

with heat, which allows me to work on integration and management resources

from multiple projects.

I have served as Heat PTL for two years. Which allows me to learn

better on how we can join users and operators' experiences and requirements

and integrated with development workflow and technical decision processes.

Here are my major goals with this seat in TC:

* Cross-community integrations (K8s, CloudFoundry, Ceph, OPNFV)

* Provide guidelines

* Strong the structure of SIGs

* Application Infra

* Cross-cooperation between Users, Operators, and Developers

* Diversity

I'm already trying to put my goals to actions, still would really hope to
join

Technical Committee to bring more attention to those domains

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Rico Lin

IRC: ricolin

Twitter: @ricolintw

https://www.openstack.org/community/members/profile/33346/rico-lin

http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&user_id=rico-lin&metric=person-day

Here I put some explanations for my goals:

- Cross-community integrations (K8s, CloudFoundry, Ceph, OPNFV):

This is a long-term goal for our community, but would really like to see
this

getting more scenario for use cases, and a more clear target for
development.

As we talk about Edge, AI, etc. It's essential to bring real use cases

into this integration( like StarlingX bring some requirements cross-projects

to real use cases).

On the other hand, K8s-SIG, Self-healing sig, FEMDC SIG are all some nice

place for this kind of interacting and integrating to happen.

- Provide guidelines:

There is one WIP guideline from First Contact SIG I particular interesting

on. The `Guidelines for Organisations Contributing to OpenStack` [4]. This
is

something I believe is quite important for showing how can organizations

interacting with OpenStack community correctly. I try to work on the same

goal from event to event as well (give presentations like [5]). There are
some

other guidelines that need to update/renew as well (most of us, who already

reading ML and work in the community for long, might no longer require to
read

guidelines, but remember, whoever try to join now a day, still require an

up-to-date guideline to give them hints).

- Strong the structure of SIGs:

As I show in above two goals, SIGs plays some important roles. I do like to

trigger discussions on how can we strengthen the structure of SIGs. Make
them more

efficient and become someplace for users and ops can directly interact with

developers. For real use cases like an Edge computing use case issue, or

self-healing service issues. I can't think of a better place than FEMDC SIG

and Self-healing SIG to record and target these issues. We might be able to

allow Opts to feedback issues on SIG's StoryBoard and ask project teams to

connect and review with it. There might be multiple ways to do this. So

would really like to trigger this discussion.

- Application Infra:

We've updated our resolution with [3] and saying we care about what

applications needs on top of OpenStack. As for jobs from few projects are

taking the role and thinking about what application needs, we should provide

help with setting up community goals, making resolutions, or define what are

top priority applications (can be a short-term definition) we need to focus
on

and taking action items/guidelines and finding weaknesses, so others from

the community can follow (if they agree with the goals, but got no idea on
what

they can help, IMO this will be a good stuff).

- Cross-cooperation between Users, Operators, and Developers:

We have been losing some communication cross Users, Operators, and
Developers.

And it's never a good thing when users can share use cases, ops shares

experiences, developers shares code, but they won't make it to one another
not

if a user provides developers by them self. In this case, works like
StoryBoard

should be in our first priority. We need a more solid way to bring user
feedback

to developers, so we can actually learn what's working or not for each

feature. And maybe it's considerable, to strengthen the communication
between

TCs and UCs (User Committee). We take some steps (like merge PTG and

Ops-meetup) to this goal, but I believe we can make the interacting more
active.

- Diversity:

The math is easy. [2] shows we got around one-third of users from Asia (with

75% of users in China). Also IIRC, around the same percentage of developers.

But we got 0 in TC. The actual works are hard. We need forwards our

technical guideline to developers in Asia and provide chances to get more

feedback from them, so we can provide better technical resolutions which

should be able to tight developers all together. Which I think I'm a good

candidate for this.

[1] http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&user_id=rico-lin&metric=person-day

[2] https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/OpenStack-User-Survey-Nov17.pdf

[3]