[openstack-dev] [heat][glance] Heat image resource support issue

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:12:27 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:47 PM Brian Rosmaita <rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com>
wrote:

Since Queens, Glance has had a 'web-download' import method that takes a
> URL [0].  It's enabled by default, but operators do have the ability to
> turn it off.  (There's an API call to see what methods are enabled in a
> particular cloud.)  Operators also have the ability to restrict what URLs
> are acceptable [1], but that's probably a good thing.
>
> In short, Glance does have the ability to do what you need since Queens,
> but there's no guarantee that it will be available in all clouds and for
> all URLs.  If you foresee that as a problem, it would be a good idea to get
> together with the Glance team at the PTG to discuss this issue.  Please add
> it as a topic to the Glance PTG planning etherpad [3] as soon as you can.

Cool! Thank Brian.
Sounds like something we can use, just one small question in my mind. In
order to use `web-download` in image resource, we need to create an empty
image than use import to upload that imge. I have try that scenrio by
myself now (I'm not really diving into detail yet) by:
1. create an empty image(like `openstack image create --container-format
bare --disk-format qcow2 img_name`)
2. and than import image  (like `glance image-import --import-method
web-download --uri
https://download.cirros-cloud.net/0.3.5/cirros-0.3.5-x86_64-disk.img `)
But that image stuck in queued after first step.
dose this scenario supported by glance? Or where did I do wrong?

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,

*Rico Lin*irc: ricolin