[openstack-dev] [heat][glance] Heat image resource support issue

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:47:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 5:55 AM Rico Lin <rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Glance team

Hi Rico, sorry about the delay in answering your email.

> Glance V1 image API been deprecated for a long while, and V2 has been used
> widely. Heat image resource would like to change to use V2 as well, but
> there is an unsolved issue, which blocks us from adopting V2. Right now, to
> image create require Heat to download the image to Heat service and
> re-upload it to Glance. This behavior causes heat service a great burden
> which in a heat team discussion (years ago), we decide to deprecated V1
> Image resource in Heat and will add V2  image resource once this is
> resolved.
> So I have been wondering if there's some workaround for this issue? Or if
> glance can support accept URL as image import (and then reuse client lib
> to download to glance side)? Or if anyone got a better solution for this?

Since Queens, Glance has had a 'web-download' import method that takes a
URL [0].  It's enabled by default, but operators do have the ability to
turn it off.  (There's an API call to see what methods are enabled in a
particular cloud.)  Operators also have the ability to restrict what URLs
are acceptable [1], but that's probably a good thing.

In short, Glance does have the ability to do what you need since Queens,
but there's no guarantee that it will be available in all clouds and for
all URLs.  If you foresee that as a problem, it would be a good idea to get
together with the Glance team at the PTG to discuss this issue.  Please add
it as a topic to the Glance PTG planning etherpad [3] as soon as you can.

cheers,
brian

[0]
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/image/v2/index.html#interoperable-image-import