[openstack-dev] [goals][python3] week 4 update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Sep 4 17:59:23 UTC 2018

Subject: [goal][python3] week 4 update

This is the 4th week of the "Run under Python 3 by default" goal
(https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html).

== What we learned last week ==

We have discovered a few repositories with tests defined in
project-config so that they run on all branches, even though they
are not supported on all branches. We will need project teams to
help identify those cases, and edit the scripted patches to remove
any jobs that are not appropriate on stable branches. If they pass,
you might want to consider keeping them, but if they are failing
and never worked then it's OK to remove them.

A few reviewers have suggested using some YAML features that allow
repeated sections to be inserted by reference, instead of copying
and pasting content in different parts of the Zuul configuration.
We can do this, but need to do it after the migration. See
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/134065.html
for details.

A surprising (to me) number of stable branches don't pass their
tests reliably.

It is possible to configure Storyboard to not show all of the events
(comments, changes, etc.) associated with a story by default. Doing
this fixes the slow rendering problem for the tracking story, and
the data is still available for normal stories by clicking on the
detail tabs at the bottom of the page. Go to
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/profile/preferences and select the
"Timeline events" you want to see by default.

== Ongoing and Completed Work ==

Here is the current status of the Zuul migration portion of the
goal (not including patches to add new python 3.6 unit test jobs,
change the documentation jobs, etc.).

+---------------------+------+-------+-------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Team                | Open | Total | Status                                                      | Champion           |
+---------------------+------+-------+-------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| adjutant            |    4 |     4 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| barbican            |   13 |    13 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| blazar              |   16 |    16 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| Chef OpenStack      |    0 |     1 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| cinder              |    0 |     0 | not started, 6 repos                                        |                    |
| cloudkitty          |    0 |    17 | waiting for cleanup https://review.openstack.org/#/c/598929 | Doug Hellmann      |
| congress            |    0 |    16 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| cyborg              |    0 |     9 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| designate           |    0 |    17 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| Documentation       |    0 |    12 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| dragonflow          |    4 |     4 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| ec2-api             |    2 |     7 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| freezer             |   17 |    28 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| glance              |   16 |    16 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| heat                |    8 |    27 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| horizon             |    0 |     8 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| I18n                |    0 |     0 | not started, 2 repos                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| Infrastructure      |    0 |     0 | not started, 158 repos                                      | Doug Hellmann      |
| InteropWG           |    0 |     4 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| ironic              |   15 |    60 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| karbor              |   22 |    22 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| keystone            |   23 |    30 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| kolla               |    1 |     8 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| kuryr               |   14 |    24 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| loci                |    0 |     0 | not started, 1 repos                                        |                    |
| magnum              |    7 |    17 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| manila              |   11 |    19 | migration in progress                                       | Goutham Pacha Ravi |
| masakari            |   16 |    18 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| mistral             |    0 |    25 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| monasca             |    7 |    66 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| murano              |    1 |    25 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| neutron             |   57 |    74 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| nova                |    0 |     0 | not started, 6 repos                                        |                    |
| octavia             |    0 |    23 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| OpenStack Charms    |    0 |     0 | not started, 80 repos                                       |                    |
| OpenStack-Helm      |    5 |     5 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| OpenStackAnsible    |   36 |   270 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| OpenStackClient     |    1 |    16 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| OpenStackSDK        |   12 |    15 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| oslo                |    0 |   157 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| Packaging-rpm       |    3 |     3 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| PowerVMStackers     |    0 |    15 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| Puppet OpenStack    |   39 |   193 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| qinling             |    1 |     6 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| Quality Assurance   |    0 |     0 | not started, 22 repos                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| rally               |    0 |     2 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| Release Management  |    1 |     1 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| requirements        |    0 |     5 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| sahara              |    0 |    27 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| searchlight         |    0 |    13 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| senlin              |   11 |    16 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| SIGs                |    3 |     5 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| solum               |    0 |    17 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| storlets            |    4 |     5 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| swift               |    0 |    11 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| tacker              |    8 |    16 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| Technical Committee |    0 |     5 | DONE                                                        | Doug Hellmann      |
| Telemetry           |   19 |    31 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| tricircle           |    3 |     9 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| tripleo             |   69 |   135 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| trove               |    0 |     0 | not started, 5 repos                                        |                    |
| User Committee      |    4 |     5 | migration in progress                                       | Doug Hellmann      |
| vitrage             |    0 |    17 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| watcher             |    5 |    17 | migration in progress                                       | Nguyen Hai         |
| winstackers         |    6 |    11 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| zaqar               |   12 |    17 | migration in progress                                       |                    |
| zun                 |    0 |    13 | DONE                                                        | Nguyen Hai         |
| TOTAL               |  496 |  1670 | 20/67 DONE                                                  |                    |
+---------------------+------+-------+-------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+

== Next Steps ==

If your team shows up in the above list as "not started" please let
us know when you are ready to begin the transition. As you can see,
it involves quite a few patches for some teams and it will be better
to propose those early in the cycle during a relatively quiet period,
rather than waiting until a time when having large batches of changes
proposed together disrupts work.

I have proposed the change to project-config to change all of the
packaging jobs to use the new publish-to-pypi-python3 template. We
should be able to have that change in place before the first milestone
for Stein so that we have an opportunity to test it.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-August/134068.html

== How can you help? ==

1. Choose a patch that has failing tests and help fix it.
   https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+status:open+(+label:Verified-1+OR+label:Verified-2+)
2. Review the patches for the zuul changes. Keep in mind that some of
   those patches will be on the stable branches for projects.
3. Work on adding functional test jobs that run under Python 3.

== How can you ask for help? ==

If you have any questions, please post them here to the openstack-dev
list with the topic tag [python3] in the subject line. Posting
questions to the mailing list will give the widest audience the
chance to see the answers.

We are using the #openstack-dev IRC channel for discussion as well,
but I'm not sure how good our timezone coverage is so it's probably
better to use the mailing list.

== Reference Material ==

Goal description: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html
Open patches needing reviews: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+is:open