[openstack-dev] [goals][python3] modifying the zuul setting import patches

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Aug 30 18:14:43 UTC 2018

A few reviewers have suggested using some YAML features that allow
repeated sections to be inserted by reference, instead of copying
and pasting content in different parts of the Zuul configuration.
That's a great idea! However, please do that AFTER the migration
is complete. For now, to make the transition smooth, please just
take the patches as they are (unless there is something wrong with
them, of course).

If significant changes to existing jobs are made before the cleanup
is done, then those versions of the job variants might not be used
when the patch is tested, and when the clean-up patch lands your
project might be broken.  When we approve the change in project-config
to remove the settings there, then any other changes to the job
settings in-tree can be self-testing, and even if it's not self-testing
it will be easier to see that a job setting changed right before the job
started failing.

So, again, please don't block the migration work on aesthetic concerns.
This will all go much more smoothly and quickly if we save those changes
for later.

Doug