[openstack-dev] [nova][limits] Does ANYONE at all use the quota class functionality in Nova?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Oct 25 19:55:46 UTC 2018

On 10/25/2018 12:00 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 10/25/2018 01:38 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
>> On 10/24/2018 9:10 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>>> Nova's API has the ability to create "quota classes", which are
>>> basically limits for a set of resource types. There is something
>>> called the "default quota class" which corresponds to the limits in
>>> the CONF.quota section. Quota classes are basically templates of
>>> limits to be applied if the calling project doesn't have any stored
>>> project-specific limits.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever created a quota class that is different from "default"?
>>
>> The Compute API specifically says:
>>
>> "Only ‘default’ quota class is valid and used to set the default
>> quotas, all other quota class would not be used anywhere."
>>
>> What this API does provide is the ability to set new default quotas
>> for *all* projects at once rather than individually specifying new
>> defaults for each project.
>
> It's a "defaults template", yes.
>

> Chris, are you advocating for *keeping* the os-quota-classes API?

Nope.  I had two points:

1) It's kind of irrelevant whether anyone has created a quota class
other than "default" because nova wouldn't use it anyways.

2) The main benefit (as I see it) of the quota class API is to allow
dynamic adjustment of the default quotas without restarting services.

I totally agree that keystone limits should replace it.  I just didn't
want the discussion to be focused on the non-default class portion
because it doesn't matter.

Chris