[openstack-dev] [goals][upgrade-checkers] Week R-25 Update

Adrian Turjak adriant at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Oct 22 21:35:10 UTC 2018

On 20/10/18 4:09 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> The big news this week is we have a couple of volunteer developers
> from NEC (Akhil Jain and Rajat Dhasmana) who are pushing the base
> framework changes across a lot of the projects [1]. I'm trying to
> review as many of these as I can. The request now is for the core
> teams on these projects to review them as well so we can keep moving,
> and then start thinking about non-placeholder specific checks for each
> project.
>
> The one other open question I have is about the Adjutant change [2]. I
> know Adjutant is very new and I'm not sure what upgrades look like for
> that project, so I don't really know how valuable adding the upgrade
> check framework is to that project. Is it like Horizon where it's
> mostly stateless and fed off plugins? Because we don't have an upgrade
> check CLI for Horizon for that reason.
>
> [1]
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:upgrade-checkers+(status:open+OR+status:merged)

Adjutant's codebase is also going to be a bit unstable for the next few
cycles while we refactor some internals (we're not marking it 1.0 yet).
Once the current set of ugly refactors planned for late Stein are done I
may look at building some upgrade checking, once we also work out what
out upgrade checking should look like. Probably mostly checking config
changes, database migration states, and plugin compatibility.

Adjutant already has a concept of startup checks at least, which while
not anywhere near as extensive as they should be, mostly amount to
making sure your config file looks 'mostly' sane regarding plugins
before starting up the service, and we do intend to expand on that, plus
we can reuse a large chunk of that for upgrade checking.