[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Oct 10 23:50:29 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-10 16:35:38 -0700 (-0700), Goutham Pacha Ravi wrote:
[...]
> Thanks Corey for starting this effort. I proposed changes to
> manila repos to use your template [1] [2], but the interpreter's
> not being installed, do you need to make any bindep changes to
> enable the "universe" ppa and install python3.7 and python3.7-dev?
[...]

I think we need to just make sure that the standard Python jobs
install the intended version of the interpreter. Using bindep for
that particular purpose is mildly silly. The bindep.txt file is,
first and foremost, a local developer convenience to let people know
what unexpected packages they might need to install on their systems
to run certain kinds of local tests. I really doubt any reasonable
developer will be surprised that they need to install python3.7
before being able to successfully run `tox -e py37` nor is the error
message confusing if they forget to do so.

A couple projects have added python-version-specific bindep profiles
which do nothing but install the corresponding interpreter, but
adding things to bindep.txt purely to satisfy the CI system is
backwards. Our CI jobs should do what we expect them to do by
default. If the job says it's going to run unit tests under Python
3.7 then the job should make sure a suitable interpreter is
installed to do so.
--
Jeremy Stanley