[openstack-dev] [oslo][taskflow] Thoughts on moving taskflow out of openstack/oslo

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Oct 10 18:51:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-10 13:35:00 -0500 (-0500), Greg Hill wrote:
[...]
> We plan to still have a CI gatekeeper, probably Travis CI, to make sure PRs
> past muster before being merged, so it's not like we're wanting to
> circumvent good contribution practices by committing whatever to HEAD.

Travis CI has gained the ability to prevent you from merging changes
which fail testing? Or do you mean something else when you refer to
it as a "gatekeeper" here?

> But the +2/+W rights thing was a huge PITA to deal with with so
> few contributors, for sure.
[...]

Note that this is not a technical limitation at all, merely social
convention. There are plenty of projects hosted on our
infrastructure, some even official OpenStack projects, where
contributor count is low enough that authors who are also core
reviewers just review and approve their own changes for expediency.

> There's also a sense that if a project is in the Openstack
> umbrella, it's not useful outside Openstack, and Taskflow is
> designed to be a general purpose library.
[...]

Be aware that the "OpenStack Infrastructure" is in the process of
rebranding itself as "OpenDev" and we're working to eliminate
mention of OpenStack on things that don't need it. This includes
moving services to a new domain name, switching to other repository
namespaces, putting mirroring to services like GitHub and Bitbucket
under the direct control of teams who are interested in handling
that with their own unique organizations in those platforms, and so
on. It's progressing, though perhaps too slowly to solve your
immediate concerns.
--
Jeremy Stanley