[openstack-dev] [nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sat Nov 17 10:52:12 UTC 2018

Mistral can schedule the executions and then a workflow to do the server image create.

The CERN implementation of this is described at http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.com/2017/08/scheduled-snapshots.html with the implementation at https://gitlab.cern.ch/cloud-infrastructure/mistral-workflows. It is pretty generic but I don't know if anyone has tried to run it elsewhere.

A few features

- Schedule can be chosen
- Logs visible in Horizon
- Option to shutdown instances before and restart after
- Mails can be sent on success and/or failure
- Rotation of backups to keep a maximum number of copies

There are equivalent restore and clone functions in the workflow also.

Tim