[openstack-dev] [nova] Can we deprecate the server backup API please?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 19:52:48 UTC 2018

The server backup API was added 8 years ago. It has Nova basically
implementing a poor-man's cron for some unknown reason (probably because
the original RAX Cloud Servers API had some similar or identical
functionality, who knows...).

Can we deprecate this functionality please? It's confusing for end users
to have an `openstack server image create` and `openstack server backup
create` command where the latter does virtually the same thing as the
former only sets up some whacky cron-like thing and deletes images after
some number of rotations.

If a cloud provider wants to offer some backup thing as a service, they
could implement this functionality separately IMHO, store the user's
requested cronjob state in their own system (or in glance which is kind
of how the existing Nova createBackup functionality works), and run a
simple cronjob executor that ran `openstack server image create` and
`openstack image delete` as needed.

This is a perfect example of an API that should never have been added to
the Compute API, in my opinion, and removing it would be a step in the
right direction if we're going to get serious about cleaning the Compute
API up.

Thoughts?
-jay