[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] boot server with more than one subnet selection question

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 12:17:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 12:27 +0100, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/13/2018 4:45 AM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> > Got it, this is what I am looking for .. thank you
>
> Regarding that you can do with server create, I believe it's:
>
> 1. don't specify anything for networking, you get a port on the network
> available to you; if there are multiple networks, it's a failure and the
> user has to specify one.
>
> 2. specify a network, nova creates a port on that network
in this case i belive neutron alocate an 1 ipv4 adress and 1 ipv6 addres assumeing the network has
a subnet for each type.

> 3. specify a port, nova uses that port and doesn't create anything in
> neutron
in this case nova just reads the ips the neutron has already allocated to the port and list those for  the instace

> 4. specify a network and fixed IP, nova creates a port on that network
> using that fixed IP.
and in this case  nova will create the port in neutron using the fixed ip you supplied which will cause neutron to
attach the prot to the correct subnet

> It sounds like you want #3 or #4.

i think what is actully wanted is "openstack server create --nic net-id=<your network>,v4-fixed-ip=<ip-addr>"

we do not have a subnet-id option for --nic so if you want to select the subnet as part of the boot you have to supply
the ip. similary if you want neutron to select the ip you have to precreate teh port and use the --port option when
creating the vm. so as matt saidn #3 or #4 are the best solutions for your request.