[openstack-dev] [tc][all] A culture change (nitpicking)

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Wed May 30 21:37:11 UTC 2018

On Wed, 30 May 2018, Julia Kreger wrote:

> I don't feel like anyone is proposing to end the use of -1's, but that
> we should generally be encouraging, accepting, and trusting.

Being encouraging, accepting, and trusting is the outcome I'd like
to see from this process. Being less nitpicking is a behavior or
process change. Adjusting attitudes (in some environments lightly,
in others more) so that we (where "we" is regulars in the projects,
experienced reviewers, and cores) perceive patches as something to
be grateful for and shepherded instead of an intrusion or obligation
would be a significant and beneficial culture change.

A perhaps more straightforward way to put it is: When someone (even
one of "us") submits a patch they are doing us (the same "we" as
above) a favor and we owe them not just a cordial and supportive
response, but one with some continuity.

Like many, I'm guilty of letting a false or inflated sense of urgency
get the better of me and being an ass in some reviews. Sorry about
that.

A cultural shift in this area will improve things for all of us.
Nitpicking is symptomatic of an attitude, one we can change, not the
disease itself.

> We also need to be mindful
> of context as well, and in the grand scheme not try for something
> perfect as many often do. This *does* mean we land something that
> needs to be fixed later or reverted later, but neither are things we
> should fear. We can't let that fear control us.

Yes, very much yes.