[openstack-dev] [ci][infra][tripleo] Multi-staged check pipelines for Zuul v3 proposal

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Wed May 16 13:17:52 UTC 2018

On 5/16/18 2:17 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-05-16 11:31:30 +0200 (+0200), Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> [...]
>> I'm pretty sure though with broader containers adoption, openstack
>> infra will catch up eventually, so we all could benefit our
>> upstream CI jobs with affinity based and co-located data available
>> around for consequent build steps.
>
> I still don't see what it has to do with containers. We've known

My understanding, I may be totally wrong, is that unlike to packages and
repos (do not count OSTree [0]), containers use layers and can be
exported into tarballs with built-in de-duplication. This makes idea of
tossing those tarballs around much more attractive, than doing something
similar to repositories with packages. Of course container images can be
pre-built into nodepool images, just like packages, so CI users can
rebuild on top with less changes brought into new layers, which is
another nice to have option by the way.

[0] https://rpm-ostree.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

> these were potentially useful features long before
> container-oriented projects came into the picture. We simply focused
> on implementing other, even more generally-applicable features
> first.

Right, I think this only confirms that it *does* have something to
containers, and priorities for containerized use cases will follow
containers adoption trends. If everyone one day suddenly ask for
nodepool images containing latest kolla containers injected, for example.

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando