[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Update, 14 May

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon May 14 14:04:03 UTC 2018

This is the weekly summary of work being done by the Technical
Committee members. The full list of active items is managed in the
wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard
at:https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565877/ : governance change adding
constellations repo to doc team

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565814/ : add goal-tools repo to tc
list

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/564830/ : add
ansible-role-tripleo-keystone to governance

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565385/ : retire kolla-kubernetes

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/566541/ : add os_blazar to
openstack-ansible

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/565538/ : remove bandit from the
governance repository

New topics:

Zane has proposed an update to the requirements for affiliation
diversity for new projects [0].

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/567944/

== Ongoing Discussions ==

The patch to update the Python 3.5 goal for Kolla [1] adds a new
deliverable to the old goal, and it isn't clear whether we want to
do that. TC members, please comment in the openstack-dev thread
[2].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/557863
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-May/130236.html

The proposal to allow teams to drop python 2 support has not had
as much discussion as I expected [3][4]. There will be a forum
session covering this topic in Vancouver [5].

[3] https://review.openstack.org/561922
[4] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-April/129866.html
[5] https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21741/python-2-deprecation-timeline

The new repository for documenting constellations is set up and
ready to receive proposals.

The Adjutant project application [6] is still under review, and the
only votes registered are opposed. Last week I mentioned the TC
retrospective session, but left out mention of the session cdent
is moderating on project "boundaries" [7] and the one mugsie is
moderating on Adjutant itself [8]. Sorry for the oversight.

[6] https://review.openstack.org/553643
[7] https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21739/official-projects-and-the-boundary-of-what-is-openstack
[8] https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21752/adjutant-official-project-status

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

I have added the two items raised by TC members raised to the draft
agenda for the joint Board/TC/UC meeting to be held in Vancouver
(see the wiki page [9] under "Strategic Discussions" and "Next steps
for fixing bylaws typo"). Please keep in mind that the time allocations
and content of the meeting are still subject to change.

[9] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/20May2018BoardMeeting

We will also hold a retrospective for the TC as a team on Monday
at the Forum.  Please be prepared to discuss things you think are
going well, things you think we need to change, items from our
backlog that you would like to work on, etc. [10]

[10] https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/21740/tc-retrospective

I need to revise the patch to update the expectations for goal
champions based on existing feedback. [11]

[11] https://review.openstack.org/564060

We have several items on our backlog that need owners. TC members,
please review the storyboard list [12] and consider taking on one
of the tasks that we agreed we would do.

[12] https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad
at:https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.