[openstack-dev] [tripleo] tripleo upstream gate outtage, was: -> gate jobs impacted RAX yum mirror

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun May 13 12:34:03 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-12 20:44:04 -0700 (-0700), Emilien Macchi wrote:
[...]
> Why do we have this situation everytime the OS is upgraded to a major
> version? Can't we test the image before actually using it? We could have
> experimental jobs testing latest image and pin gate images to a specific
> one?
>
> Like we could configure infra to deploy centos 7.4 in our gate and 7.5 in
> experimental, so we can take our time to fix eventual problems and make the
> switch when we're ready, instead of dealing with fires (that usually come
> all together).
>
> It would be great to make a retrospective on this thing between tripleo ci
> & infra folks, and see how we can improve things.

In the past we've trusted statements from Red Hat that you should be
able to upgrade to newer point releases without experiencing
backward-incompatible breakage. Right now all our related tooling is
based on the assumption we made in governance that we can just
treat, e.g., RHEL/CentOS 7 as a long-term stable release
distribution similar to an Ubuntu LTS and not have to worry about
tracking individual point releases.

If this is not actually the case any longer, we should likely
reevaluate our support claims.
--
Jeremy Stanley