[openstack-dev] [tc] agenda for upcoming joint leadership meeting in vancouver

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed May 9 20:27:43 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2018-05-09 16:06:01 -0400:

> The last time we had a joint leadership meeting, several TC members
> expressed the desire to have more information about what was going
> to be covered before the meeting. The agenda for the next meeting
> (to be held in Vancouver), is in the wiki at
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/20May2018BoardMeeting
> (I suggest "watching" that page to keep an eye on updates because
> it is still subject to change). The agenda items are a bit terse,
> so I thought I would send this email to give my understanding of
> what will be discussed. If you have questions or anything to add,
> please post a follow up message.
>
> Welcome to new members --  We start with introductions for new
> folks, since there are new members of all 3 groups attending. This
> is usually just a chance to put a face with a name, but sometimes
> we mention employers. Because of the nature of the board, its members
> are usually more interested in who employs new board members than
> the TC or UC are about our members.
>
> Executive Team Update -- Jonathan, Lauren, Mark, and Thierry will
> give updates about the summit and Foundation. We usually learn things
> like registration numbers for the event, major themes, etc.
>
> User Committee Update -- Melvin and Matt will talk about the work
> the UC has been doing. I don't have any real details about that.
>
> Strategic Discussions -- I put our topic about seeking more
> contributors with more time to spend upstream here. It's not entirely
> clear this is what Alan had in mind for this section, and since
> I've asked for the entire hour this may change.
>
> As I've mentioned a few times in channel, I have been working on
> putting hard numbers together to demonstrate that individual
> contributors, given time to establish their credibility and actually
> do some work, can have a significant positive impact on the community
> and the direction of OpenStack. So far, I have a few cases drawn
> from contributions to our community goals and help-wanted list to
> demonstrate both success and failure to make this point. I hope
> that by framing it this way we can move on from the problem statement,
> which we have covered a few times in the past, and have a more
> fruitful discussion of how to convince engineering managers and
> other decision makers to allow developers to contribute in these
> ways. I will share the slide deck with everyone after the meeting,
> since it may change between now and then.
>
> Updating the Foundation Mission Statement -- I'm not really sure
> what this is, beyond what it says.
>
> Preview 2018 event strategy -- I've been told this is a
> presentation/discussion led by Lauren to talk about our in-person
> events such as the Summit/Forum and PTG.
>
> Next steps for fixing bylaws typo -- This is our second agenda item,
> to talk about fixing the obvious error in the appendix to the bylaws
> that covers selecting TC members and defines "Active Technical
> Contributor" (section 3.b.i of
> [...]

Oops, I cut that off before the end of the agenda.

The last few items are part of a formal Board of Directors meeting.
Those are generally open except when they need to discuss something
in an Executive session, but only the Board members contribute to
the meeting unless someone else is specifically called on. As you
can see, it looks like this time around this section of the meeting
will only consist of committee updates.

Doug