[openstack-dev] [api] REST limitations and GraghGL inception?

Gilles Dubreuil gdubreui at redhat.com
Tue May 1 01:18:05 UTC 2018

On 30/04/18 20:16, Flint WALRUS wrote:
> I would very much second that question! Indeed it have been one of my
> own wondering since many times.
>
> Of course GraphQL is not intended to replace REST as is and have to
> live in parallel

Effectively a standard initial architecture is to have GraphQL sitting
aside (in parallel) and wrapping REST and along the way develop GrapgQL
Schema.

It's seems too early to tell but GraphQL being the next step in API
evolution it might ultimately replace REST.

> but it would likely and highly accelerate all requests within heavily
> loaded environments

+1

> .
>
> So +1 for this question.
> Le lun. 30 avr. 2018 à 05:53, Gilles Dubreuil <gdubreui at redhat.com
> <mailto:gdubreui at redhat.com>> a écrit :
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Remember Boston's Summit presentation [1] about GraphQL [2] and
>     how it
>     addresses REST limitations.
>     I wonder if any project has been thinking about using GraphQL. I
>     haven't
>     find any mention or pointers about it.
>
>     GraphQL takes a complete different approach compared to REST. So
>     we can
>     finally forget about REST API Description languages
>     (OpenAPI/Swagger/WSDL/WADL/JSON-API/ETC) and HATEOS (the hypermedia
>     approach which doesn't describe how to use it).
>
>     So, once passed the point where 'REST vs GraphQL' is like
>     comparing SQL
>     and no-SQL DBMS and therefore have different applications, there
>     are no
>     doubt the complexity of most OpenStack projects are good
>     candidates for
>     GraphQL.
>
>     Besides topics such as efficiency, decoupling, no version management
>     need there many other powerful features such as API Schema out of the
>     box and better automation down that track.
>
>     It looks like the dream of a conduit between API services and
>     consumers
>     might have finally come true so we could move-on an worry about other
>     things.
>
>     So has anyone already starting looking into it?
>
>     [1]
>     https://www.openstack.org/videos/boston-2017/building-modern-apis-with-graphql
>     [2] http://graphql.org

Gilles Dubreuil
Senior Software Engineer - Red Hat - Openstack DFG Integration
Email: gilles at redhat.com
GitHub/IRC: gildub
Mobile: +61 400 894 219