[openstack-dev] [kolla][kolla-kubernete][tc][openstack-helm]propose retire kolla-kubernetes project

Surya Singh singh.surya64mnnit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:14:32 UTC 2018

Dear All,

Thanks Rich for putting thoughts on continuation with kolla-k8s.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 2:26 AM, Richard Wellum <richwellum at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So as a current Kolla-Kubernetes Core - I have a slightly different opinion than most, I'll try to verbalize it coherently.
>
> Lets talk about what Kolla is:
>
> Kolla is a project that builds OpenStack docker images, stores them on dockerhub, and provides tools to build your own images from your own source. Both the images and the tools it provides, are widely used, very popular and extremely stable; TripleO, openstack-helm and kolla-ansible to name a few are all deployment methods that use Kolla.
>
> Kolla has two sub-projects, that both revolve around deployment methods; kolla-ansible and kolla-kubernetes. Kolla-ansible is proven, stable and used by many in the industry. Part of Kolla's quality is it's rock-solid dependability in many scenarios. As Kubernetes took over most of the COE world, it's only correct that the Kolla team created this sub-project; if swarm became suddenly very popular then we should create a kolla-swarm sub-project.
>
> So if we abandon kolla-kubernetes ('sunset' seems much more romantic admittedly) - we are abandoning the core Kolla team's efforts in this space. No matter how good openstack-helm is (and I've deployed it, know a lot of the cores and it's truly excellent and well driven), what happens down the line if openstack-helm decide to move on from Kolla - say focussing on Loci images or a new flavor that comes along? Then Kolla the core project, will no longer have any validation of it's docker images/containers running on Kubernetes. That to me is the big risk here.
>
> The key issue in my opinion is that the core Kolla team has focussed on kolla-ansible almost exclusively, and have not migrated to using kolla-kubernetes as well. As the code base has stagnated, the gates get intro trouble, and new features and configurations added to kolla-ansible are not translated to kolla-kubernetes.
>
> So I think the real question is not whether we should 'sunset' kolla-kubernetes the sub-project, but should we drop Kolla support on Kubernetes? Relying on a different team to do so is probably not the answer; although it's the one championed in this thread.

+1

> In my opinion we should set some realistic goals before we sunset:
>
> 1. Pick a feature set for a Rocky v1.0 release, and commit to trying to get there. We have a long list of items, maybe pair this down to something reasonable.

I am agree that we should have feature set for Rocky v1.0 release and
AFAIK community already have that.

> 2. Agreement within Kolla core team to learn kolla-kubernetes and start to put a percentage of time into this sub-project.
> 3. Identify the people who are genuinely interested in working with it within the Kolla team.

Though currently I am not the MVP in kolla-k8s but i would love to
help with some concrete item for v1.0, IMHO before that we need a
leader then identify volunteers.
And for that if we need more thought on this
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552531