[openstack-dev] [nova] Hard fail if you try to rename an AZ with instances in it?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Mar 27 17:49:08 UTC 2018

On 03/27/2018 10:42 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 10:37 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> If we want to actually fix the issue once and for all, we need to make
>> availability zones a real thing that has a permanent identifier (UUID) and
>> store that permanent identifier in the instance (not the instance metadata).
>
> Aggregates have a UUID now, exposed in microversion 2.41 (you added it). Is that
> what you mean by AZs having a UUID, since AZs are modeled as host aggregates?
>
> One of the alternatives in the spec is not relying on name as a unique
> identifier and just make sure everything is held together via the aggregate
> UUID, which is now possible.

If we allow non-unique availability zone names, we'd need to display the
availability zone UUID in horizon when selecting an availability zone.

I think it'd make sense to still require the availability zone names to be
unique, but internally store the availability zone UUID in the instance instead
of the name.

Chris