[openstack-dev] [Openstack-Dev] [Neutron] [DragonFlow] Automatic Neighbour Discovery responder for IPv6

N Vivekanandan n.vivekanandan at ericsson.com
Tue Mar 20 06:45:22 UTC 2018

Hi DragonFlow Team,

We noticed that you are adding support for automatic responder for neighbor solicitation via OpenFlow Rules here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/412208/

Can you please let us know with latest OVS release are you using to test this feature?

We are pursuing Automatic NS Responder in OpenDaylight Controller implementation, and we noticed that there are no NXM extensions to manage the 'R' bit and 'S' bit correctly.

>From the RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861

      R              Router flag.  When set, the R-bit indicates that

                     the sender is a router.  The R-bit is used by

                     Neighbor Unreachability Detection to detect a

                     router that changes to a host.

      S              Solicited flag.  When set, the S-bit indicates that

                     the advertisement was sent in response to a

                     Neighbor Solicitation from the Destination address.

                     The S-bit is used as a reachability confirmation

                     for Neighbor Unreachability Detection.  It MUST NOT

                     be set in multicast advertisements or in
                     unsolicited unicast advertisements.

We noticed that this dragonflow rule is being programmed for automatic response generation for NS:
icmp6,ipv6_dst=1::1,icmp_type=135 actions=load:0x88->NXM_NX_ICMPV6_TYPE[],move:NXM_NX_IPV6_SRC[]->NXM_NX_IPV6_DST[],mod_dl_src:00:11:22:33:44:55,load:0->NXM_NX_ND_SLL[],IN_PORT
above line from spec https://docs.openstack.org/dragonflow/latest/specs/ipv6.html

However, from the flow rule by dragonflow for automatic response above, we couldn't notice that R and S bits of the NS Response is being managed.

Can you please clarify if you don't intend to use 'R' and 'S' bits at all in dragonflow implementation?
Or you intend to use them but you weren't able to get NXM extensions for the same with OVS and so wanted to start ahead without managing those bits (as per RFC)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vivek