[openstack-dev] [TripleO] ansible/config-download PTG session recap

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 12:23:39 UTC 2018

During the PTG, TripleO held a session about moving forward with
config-download as the default deployment mechanism during Rocky.

We captured our notes in this etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-ptg-config-download

There was wide agreement to continue moving forward with this
implementation. While os-collect-config and friends have served us
well for many successful releases, it seemed there was a lot of desire
to remove that polling based architecture in favor of a more pure
ansible based solution.

During the session we also talked about relying on more standalone
native ansible roles. We agreed to adopt the approach of creating a
new git repo per ansible role. While this may create more busy work
upfront, the advantages of being able to version and release each role
individually outweigh the disadvantages.

There was also some discussion about developing a script/tool to
one-time create standalone per-service ansible roles from the existing
tripleo-heat-templates service templates. Once the roles were created
they would become the source of truth moving forward for service
configuration. The service templates from tripleo-heat-templates would
then consume those roles directly. This has the advantage of removing
the inlined tasks in the templates and would give us the ability to
test the roles in a standalone fashion more easily outside of Heat. It
also aligns better with future work around k8s/apb support.

The goal is to make config-download the default by the Rocky-1
milestone (April 16 - April 20), and I feel we're still on track to do
that.

If you'd like to help with this effort we're coordinating our work
with this etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-config-download-squad-status

--
-- James Slagle