[openstack-dev] Pros and Cons of face-to-face meetings

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Thu Mar 8 18:14:39 UTC 2018

On 08/03/18 18:06, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2018-03-08 17:49:35 +0000 (+0000), Flint WALRUS wrote:
>> Pretty easy, put the PTG online with a livestream on
>> YouTube/Hangout/whatever platform that will then be saved and could even be
>> watched later on!
>>
>> It’s just a matter of some hardware and a decent internet bandwidth that’s
>> already available to almost every places where a PTG took place.
>>
>> Problem solved.
> [...]
>
> Have you ever actually tried it? I know this seems simple to "solve"
> with technology, but put 50 people in a room having a heated
> conversation (or sometimes several conversations at once) and then
> try to bridge some people in via phone, video conference, whatever
> and see how it works out in reality.
>
> The times it's been tried, either the remote participants get
> frustrated because nobody is paying attention to them/speaking into
> microphones/keeping discussion to one thread at a time, or the
> in-person participants get frustrated because they have to start
> acting like they're all on separate telephones and drag down the
> bandwidth of the conversation to the point where it may as well be
> 100% remote/separate participation anyway.
>
> We've made it work to varying degrees in the past, but it's not so
> simple as you would seem to imply no matter how good the technology.

I would echo ^.

As a remote employee for ~ 5 years, I have a large amount of experience
being the person at the far end of a laptop / phone / etc.

Some of the VC systems work well, but they are expensive, complex
systems, with multiple mics, speakers, and cameras.

I am not saying we shouldn't try it, but lets not get our hopes up.