[openstack-dev] [horizon][ptg] Horizon PTG Highlights

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Tue Mar 6 22:08:39 UTC 2018

Hi team,

First of all, I would like to say a thank you to all who was able to attend
PTG this time. We'd got very productive discussions with a great team.

Below is my short summary related on the etherpad [1]:

   - Current blueprints and features proposals:
   - we agreed to allow new blueprints and feature proposals due to the dev
      cycle before Feature Freeze milestone [2]
      - it should help contributors who are interested in feature
      development propose and implement new features for Horizon
   - Bugs and reviews list maintaining:
      - we did a good progress on Launchpad bugs list cleanup in Queens
      - it would be good to have a Bug triage days
         - I'll start to do it on a weekly basis
      - we created an etherpad for review priorities [3]
         - I'll review this list before weekly meeting
         - feel free to add anything you think is important to merge it soon
         - we can discuss this list on IRC meeting if needed
      - Should we stop rewriting existing panels with Angular?
   - there are a lot of concerns about re-writing current features with
      Angular JS
      - we've got a lot of not implemented features but do
      re-implementation of the current
      - It would be great to have new features implemented with Angular JS
      but it's not a requirement at the moment
      - seems that we're OK to not block current patches with features
      re-implementation with Angular JS but do not want to start new
patches with
      re-implementation - there is no final decision on this topic yet
   - Fetch resources in parallel
   - we agreed to make go forward with Eventlet by default and make it
      configurable to allow native Python threads which are used now
      - let's ask the community about their experience with Eventlet
      - Eventlet is not the best option for Python 3 at the moment
   - An interaction between Horizon and other projects
   - project teams have troubles with Horizon integration
      - we've got features gap between Horizon and other projects
      - Horizon would like to use project capabilities
      - we need to be more active in cross-project communications
      - Horizon needs to fix integration tests
         - Ironic UI team wants to have their integration tests based on
         Horizon tests
      - it would be good to have Horizon plugins jobs per each Horizon
      commit to being sure that we don't break anything
      - Heat team asked for a help with new XStatic packages
   - Current state in Horizon testing
   - we want to fix our Selenium and Integration tests
      - there is some progress on this
      - once general integration tests framework will be ready, we can
      start fix tests one by one
      - need to figure out why tempest job is not stable enough
      - translations are not enabled in unit-tests
      - having test cases with some non-default locale seems to be good
         - add an option to enable localization in unit-tests
         - Angular and XStatic packages versions
   - testing and updating were done mostly manually by Radomir and Rob
      - we agreed to update XStatic packages in Rocky if they have suitable
      for Horizon versions and we've got capacity for this
   - Horizon accessibility
   - This initiative was started some time ago but isn't maintained now
   - Error handling
      - We need better user-facing error messages
      - We don't log every exception, so it makes hard for operators to
      investigate what went wrong
   - Bandit [3]
      - we're OK to get bandit job like some other projects do

My general feeling is: we're trying to balance between
bug-fixing/stabilization and new features development with a limited number
of resources.

And last, but not least, I want to say thank you to everybody who attends
PTG, does review or proposes patches.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-ptg-rocky
[2] https://releases.openstack.org/rocky/schedule.html#r-ff
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-reviews-priority