[openstack-dev] DeployArtifacts considered...complicated?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Fri Jun 29 03:12:12 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 05:17:36PM +0200, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> For the puppet modules specifically, we might also add another
> directory+mount into the docker-puppet container, which would be blank by
> default (unlike the existing, already populated /etc/puppet and
> /usr/share/openstack-puppet/modules). And we'd put that directory at the
> very start of modulepath. Then i *think* puppet would use a particular
> module from that dir *only*, not merge the contents with the rest of
> modulepath...

No, you would still have the problem that types/providers from *all*
available paths are activated, so if in your container you have
/etc/puppet/modules/themodule/lib/puppet/provider/something/foo.rb,
and you mount into the container
/container/puppet/modules/themodule/lib/puppet/provider/something/bar.rb,
then you end up with both foo.rb and bar.rb active and possibly
conflicting.

This only affects module lib directories. As Alex pointed out, puppet
classes themselves behave differently and don't conflict in this
fashion.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                |